11.7.12

hangul moolah

Been here for about 2 weeks now and this is what I can say in Korean

  • anyong ha saeyo - hi/bye
  • anyong hi kye se o - bye if I'm the one leaving
  • anyong hi ka sae o - bye to the person leaving
  • pangap sumnida - nice to meet you
  • moo lah - i don't know
  • moo - what
  • hana, tul, set, net, ta sot, ya sot - 1,2,3,4,5,6
  • i, il, sam - 1,2,3 in the other way to count who knows what
  • yogi - here
  • hakkyo - school
  • sung chun bo gun gi so - what i say to the taxi to bring me back to my homestay house
  • ne/akneeoo - yes/no
  • ul ma ye yo - how much?
  • kan samnida - thank you
  • suba - watermelon
  • mul - water
  • mul chu se yo - water please
  • ohman - 50,000 won
  • hangul - korean language
  • gapshida - let's go
I think that's about it.  Still need to learn how to count so that I can understand the money better.  

I'm so used to communicating with people.  I like to talk to people.  It's hard getting used to not being able to do that at all.  I talk more with my hands and face and more than anything, just nod yes to everything.  I think my lack of talking to people bursts out when I'm teaching classes.  Like sometimes I can't stop myself from laughing.  Maybe it's cause I'm used to laughing a lot.  When I feel myself starting to laugh I tell the kids to repeat a dialogue really really loudly.  That just makes me laugh more but at least it masks it a little.  One sentence in a dialogue was, "Wow! It's rice!"  The little boy said it with such enthusiasm that I had to bite my tongue to not burst out laughing.  "Yeah, it's rice!  You've eaten it almost everyday since you were born!  Who writes these dialogues?!"  Probably someone who also finds humor in a child being so excited about rice.  

Maybe I should read some comedy books to get the laughing out before class.    

1 comment: